Pages

Sunday, July 29, 2012

A Day And Then Some Spent Dyeing

I have spent the last few days spinning and dyeing and fixing.  It's funny how that goes.  You see so many half finished projects that are just kicking around waiting for a free day to get them all done.  Of course though, it takes more than a day, but it's worth it in the long run.  So What did I do?  Well today is going to be more of a showcase than a talk.
I took this fine pile of mixed yarns that I have been spinning up over the last couple of months and decided it was time to do a little dying and decided to throw in some fleece and see what it was like to spin with coloured fiber instead of colouring it up after it's been spun.  I soaked it for a couple of hours instead of just the few minutes to half hour that it soaks while I gather my things and get them ready to plunge into the dye.




When I was done dyeing the yarn these little gems are what I ended up with.  They are much brighter than the camera shows.  As you can see I'm playing around with labels for my wool and was given inspiration to use brown paper, which is more natural looking than the stark white.  So that is going to be my next project, creating labels for my pretty babies.




This cloud of fluff is the fleece that I dyed up using turmeric for a brilliant yellow, as well as orange and cherry Koolaid. I used spot dying and  poured the crystals in several spots, after a while of letting it sink in and when the water was clear, i turned it over and did the same to the bottom.  This is what I wound up with.





This is much more vibrant but you can still the beauty of all the colours combined.  I spun up the wool to a sport weight for knitting up socks.  I now have a ball of red and this lovely ball of sunshine for my next knitting ventures.








So all in all I have plenty of yarn to knit and package up.  Guess I"m going to be busy for the next little while again. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.