Pages

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Keeping a Few Things Handy

When it comes to knitting, I like to keep a few things close at hand.  One is a pencil or pen, another is a small notebook.   I also keep scraps of wool in bright colors, several of them, a couple of crochet hooks, and  some scissors.  I put all of these things into a bag large enough to hold the knitting needles I'm working with, the wool, all of it, as well as the aforementioned items.

I get ready before I knit, even if it's just a simple project.  Firstly, I simplify the instructions into how I understand things work and write them all down in the notebook, leaving spaces for me to make tally marks for each row I do.  What this does is re-familiarizes myself with my project and I have an easier time of it if it's something I've done before.  I can then refer to any quick pattern anomalies I might encounter, because I've taken notes on any issues that crop up, so I know how to handle them if they come up again.  I also keep a copy of the full pattern, just in case I need to double check something.  Those bits of colored yarn come in handy not only as markers, but can double as stitch holders.  The crochet hooks are great, you know when you drop stitches... You can easily pick them up and crochet them back in.  It just simplifies the process.  I tend to keep my bag small and purselike, but holding only my crafting tools, and I can easily scoop them up and take them with me wherever I go.  I can shut things down at the drop of a hat, and pick it  up later, whenever I want.

The great thing about knitting is how  portable it is.  You can take it anywhere and work on it.  One piece of advice, watch out for people who like to pick up your work and take a good look at it.  It's the easiest way to drop stitches.  People mean well, they just want to see what you're doing and how it works.  I keep track of stitches and rows in my notebook.  I always know where I am.  That way, if something unforeseen happens...(eep the cat), I can quickly sort out the problem without  too much unraveling.

Unraveling is a vital part of  making a garment.  Sometimes tensions loosen or tighten and you are just not pleased with how things are going.  Don't be afraid to unravel.  You can pick up the stitches easily enough and work them back to where you were.  Look at it like a lesson, or practice, be forgiving and kind to yourself.  They are only stitches and there's plenty more where they come from.

Above all , have fun with it, as you progress, things become easier and soon you are designing things in your head and looking at patterns and going yep... I see how that works.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment.