Pages

Saturday, March 17, 2012

Pale Lavender Socks and a Pledge

So here they are, my socks, made from and angora blend.  This was hard to work with, a little slippery so the tension was tricky to maintain, but I persevered.  Also, I should have looked more closely at the pattern.  These were men`s sizes and next pair I make myself will be in extra small.  I enjoyed making these, so here is the pattern I used http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/simple-skyp-socks .  I still find the Kitchener stitch a little difficult, but am sure that will come with time.  The best instructional I found for the Kitchener stitch was here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYEaM6g4NBc&hl=en_US&fs=1&rel=0 . The instructions are really clear and she shows you what is going on.  I think the big issue for me is that my knitting has become a magnet, the moment I pick it up, there is a knock at the door, or someone needs something, especially when I hit play on this video.

I`ve also noticed something interesting.  When people ask me what I`m doing, I tell them ``I`m knitting.`` `` Oh so you`re just knitting.`` They reply, ``Then you won`t mind giving me a hand.``  I reply back again with the I`m knitting and I`m busy, and they roll their eyes at me.  I love knitting.  I create beautiful things out of my own imagination, or from nothing more than a strand of yarn and a few sticks.  Knitting is no longer done by lonely old Grandmothers any longer.  In fact knitting is beautiful http://www.whiteliesdesigns.com/ as these knitted designs will attest to.  I don`t just knit and purl, I do math in my head as I`m going along  I keep track of stitches, rows, rounds.  This is more than just a mere past time.  I`ve made a pledge to create all my own clothing from the source or from local friends sources, doing as much as I can on my own, including shoes.  That the articles of clothing I make will be practical, wearable, durable, pretty, fun, unique and keep me occupied.   Slowly I will be phasing out all of my old clothes and replace it with something hand made by myself.

1 comment:

  1. Wow the choice of color is attractive. I appreciate the hard work and skill involved in weaving this wonderful woolen socks

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment.